skip to content

Department of Computer Science and Technology


Please check the advice provided by the Student Registry regarding applications for leave from the University. We advise starting your application no later than one month before you intend to take the leave except under circumstances such as intermission on medical grounds. Students who are still registered for the CPGS when the period of leave is required will not be approved for leave to work away.

Advice from the Registry changes as it receives new rules and guidelines from the UK Government. We therefore ask that you check the details carefully before making your application and that you choose the correct application type.

  • Leave to Work Away
  • Intermission  NB Students who wish to intermit will 'stop the clock' on their PhD. Intermission will also stop PhD studentship payments. Students must inform the Departmental Secretary for Finance at least two weeks before the start of the intermission so that the studentship abeyance is noted by Payroll and so they do not have to repay overpaid maintenance payments.
  • Leave to Work Away also requires you to undertake a Risk Assessment – see the University's guidance and forms. You will need a signature from your supervisor and to send copy of the form to for checking.
    This is essential, especially if you also need University Travel Insurance.

Research student holiday entitlement

If you are a full time student, you are expected to devote around 40 hours per week to your course of research for the full duration of the course (N.B. the academic year for graduate students runs from 1st October to 30th September). You may take short breaks for holidays, up to a maximum of 8 weeks per year, at times agreed with your supervisor. Periods of holiday should not be used for absences which would be covered by procedures for intermission or working away from Cambridge.